Work as a Fellow in Uluberia, West Bengal to enable effective school-to-work transition for women by
- Identify causes for low female participation in the labor force
- Recommend programs that would overcome this issue.
Member of Parliament, Sri. Sultan Ahmad (Minister of State for Tourism), Trinamool Congress, West Bengal
Uluberia, located in the Howrah District, is a primarily an agricultural constituency with low human development indicators. As one of the methods to improve development outcomes, Sri Sultan Ahmad has invested significantly in educating girls. But the investment has not translated into jobs for women. Despite high graduation rates, the female labor force participation rates continue to remain low. Several vocational schools, higher education institutes and primary schools have been setup, and the Member of Parliament is looking for ways for women to enable an effective school-to-work transition.
Fellows will be expected to:
- Collect Primary Data: Conduct a thorough survey of the client’s constituency and map out causes for low female labor force participation rate.
- Collect Secondary Data: Review census data and past surveys to understand the existing social context in the constituency.
- Connect with constituents: Develop relationships with constituents to gauge their social expectations from women in their community and their expectations from the MP.
- Connect with Government Agencies and NGOs: Survey and communicate with government agencies and NGOs to understand their delivery capacity.
- Deliver program strategy for MP and provide specific execution plan.
(Specific timeline we be discussed further with selected candidates)
This is a 6-8 week engagement (June – July)
Housing and a living allowance (food and transport) will be provided to Fellows.